Avatar for Robert Curtis

A guide to driving jobs

Robert Curtis 18th January 2018 Uncategorised

delivery driver in swindon

If you like the idea of making a living seeing the country from behind a wheel, often choosing the hours you work, you might consider a Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) driving job.

Qualified HGV drivers are always in high demand. In fact, the UK is currently undergoing a skills shortage for HGV driving jobs.

More than half a million HGV drivers are needed across the UK. While 35,000 drivers leave the industry each year due to retirement or ill health, only 18,000 new drivers are being trained in that time to fill the vacancies. Opportunities abound. There are 1.4 million people employed in the transport and storage sector in Great Britain. But in 2013, for example, a total of 2.7 million goods vehicles were required for transportation from Britain to mainland Europe.

HGV drivers are being recruited from overseas. While agencies are being called upon more. We are an agency that can find you HGV driving jobs in the Swindon area.

To become a professional driver, you’ll need to get qualified. You will need to be at least 18 years old and hold a full car licence.  And then get things rolling by applying for provisional entitlements to be added to your normal driving licence via the DVLA website. Applying for a Category C licence allows you to drive rigid vehicles (i.e. all-in-one units) over 7.5 tonnes in weight; Category C+1, to drive any HGV with a trailer attached (e.g. an articulated lorry).

The application should take three weeks to process after which you can get training. You will first need to take a theory test and then a practical test within two years after that.

There are many specialist training providers across the UK, most of them offering comprehensive training for driving Category C and Category C+1 vehicles.

Course prices can vary considerably, while most schools will offer the chance to learn part-time or intensively. Apprenticeship schemes do exist.

By law, anyone wishing to drive a HGV professionally must also sit a test to gain a Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC). A medical exam is also required.

Once you have your upgraded licence, you can start looking for paid work. Come see us about HGV driving jobs if you’re in Swindon.

The school you trained with may know about new opportunities or may at least be able to give you some pointers. Or if you’re Swindon-based, you can register with us for HGV driving jobs.